- The monthly effective interest rate. For example, the periodic rate on a credit card with an 18% annual percentage rate is 1.5% per month. Bloomberg Financial Dictionary
* * *interest rate ˈinterest ˌrate noun [countable] FINANCEthe percentage rate used for calculating interest over a particular period of time, usually one year:interest rate of
• The credit card has an interest rate of 14.8%.
• The fear of higher interest rates is driving down the stockmarket.
• The fall in interest rates should lead to additional business investment.
* * *The cost paid by a borrower to a lender over a period of time, often calculated annually. It is intended to compensate lenders for the sacrifice of losing immediate use of their money, for the inflationary erosion of buying power over the life of the loan, and for the risk involved in lending.
* * *interest rate UK US noun [C] (also rate of interest) BANKING, FINANCE► the percentage amount that you pay for borrowing money, or get for lending money, for a period of time, usually a year: »
a 7% interest rate»
an interest rate of 7%»
a high/low/zero interest raterising/falling interest rates »
Falling interest rates acted as a tax cut for households.»
rumours of an interest rate rise»
Interest-rate fluctuations may affect present and future cash flows of the company.»
A rise in the interest rate causes the value of existing bonds to fall.»
The government may cut interest rates to boost growth.»
The bank has decided to leave interest rates unchanged.»
Some cards charge an interest rate of over 16%.»
The National Bank has set the interest rate at 6%.»
a variable/fixed interest rate»
long-term/short-term interest rates
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
interest rate — n. The percentage used to calculate interest due on a loan. The Essential Law Dictionary. Sphinx Publishing, An imprint of Sourcebooks, Inc. Amy Hackney Blackwell. 2008. interest rate … Law dictionary
interest rate — interest rates N COUNT The interest rate is the amount of interest that must be paid. It is expressed as a percentage of the amount that is borrowed or gained as profit. The Finance Minister has renewed his call for lower interest rates. ...a… … English dictionary
interest rate — interest ,rate noun count the percentage that an institution such as a bank charges or pays you in interest when you borrow money from it or keep money in an account: high/low interest rates: Consumers have been discouraged by high interest rates … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
interest rate — interest .rate n the ↑percentage amount charged by a bank etc when you borrow money or paid to you by a bank when you keep money in an account there … Dictionary of contemporary English
Interest rate — Finance Financial markets Bond market … Wikipedia
interest rate — The percentage of an amount of money which is paid for its use for a specified time. Commonly expressed as an annual percentage rate (APR). Federal and state laws regulate interest rate amounts and disclosures on consumer loans. See annual… … Black's law dictionary
Interest Rate — The amount charged, expressed as a percentage of principal, by a lender to a borrower for the use of assets. Interest rates are typically noted on an annual basis, known as the annual percentage rate (APR). The assets borrowed could include, cash … Investment dictionary
interest rate — noun the percentage of a sum of money charged for its use (Freq. 1) • Syn: ↑rate of interest • Hypernyms: ↑rate, ↑charge per unit • Hyponyms: ↑discount rate, ↑ … Useful english dictionary
interest rate — UK / US noun [countable] Word forms interest rate : singular interest rate plural interest rates economics the percentage that an institution such as a bank charges or pays you in interest when you borrow money from it or keep money in an account … English dictionary
interest rate — See base interest rate buy at end of term interest rate net interest rate … Dictionary of automotive terms